Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I've Always Been A Sucker for the Pretty Ones

When Quinn Fabray tells Rachel in the episode "Born This Way", “I pretty much have a warped sense of the world. Being a hot 17 year old, you can get away with or do anything you want, so I kind of always assumed that people are always nice and accommodating.” I almost got whiplash from nodding so vigorously. In 2 seconds, Quinn summed up how I had always felt. People who say a pretty face doesn't get you far never had one. Now don't get me wrong, you can buy pretty, up to a point. But to be born beautiful, well that's all luck of the draw no? A toss of the dice, some good mixture of genetics, and BAM. 


Now my unfortunate failing is that I can't help but be a sucker for the pretty ones. I always let them in far more than I should, and let them get away with far worse than I should. I can't help it, they're just so darn cute! And when they're sweet and cute, well then they practically have me drooling in the palm of their hands. Take my ex-boyfriend (we'll call him Alpha, cause he pretty much is). He was GORGEOUS. Now I know what you're thinking, ya ya everyone thinks their ex-boyfriend is cute or else they wouldn't have dated him. But trust me, me and every other girl will attest to how cute he is. He was fit, had great, buff arms, an amazing back, a great jawline, dimples, dark hair and perfect teeth (that he was born with! bastard). But unfortunately, it pretty much stopped there. He spent his high school career chasing girls and never really made it past that. Now don't get me wrong, he works hard...but upstairs, well we just never clicked and as I grow older (hardly wiser lol) I realized that a pretty face does get you far, but it's longevity, well isn't that long. I found myself craving intellectual conversations, debates, opinions, thoughts, something deeper and more meaningful than the monotony of life and basketball. Sure, I like talking about random things too, but what was missing was this appreciation for education, this need to learn, explore, discover, and achieve lofty goals...I can't describe it, but it's almost as if they (intellectuals) saw life on a whole different level...for more than just the immediate fulfillment of being able to buy that flat screen TV they've been slickdealing all year. And yes, I agree intelligence is all subjective, so when I say intelligent I mean by MY standards on MY level. Now what's that you ask? I come from an analytical/software background with a degree from a top 40 University and intelligence wise I have a penchant for engineers. Unfortunately engineers don't tend to be as cute as the boys I meet at the gym.


So here I find myself, once again being attracted to Alpha 2.0.- 6'2, great back, pretty face, buff and gorgeous, but unfortunately hustling it just as hard in life as Alpha 1.0 (my ex). He spent his high school career chasing just as many girls, and now at 31, is still struggling to put a career together and unfortunately I just don't see myself building a life with someone who isn't on the same page as me, but man do I wish I could cause he'd sure be good to look at for a long while...hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment